How To Use Your Phone As A Webcam
Do not have a webcam, but need to make an urgent video call on Skype or some other video conferencing service? Maybe you already have a webcam and want to add a second camera to your setup? Relax; you can opt to use your old phone as a webcam.
It will be easier to buy a devoted camera, but you are not keen to buy a new webcam or want to find a good use of your old phone instead of selling it, then using it as a webcam is a good idea.
A quick search on Google Play throws up several webcam applications. IP Webcam is definitely the best of apps because it works through your browser, which gives it the cross-platform compatibility.
To set up a security camera on Android, follow these steps.
- Connect your computer and the phone to the same Wi-Fi network.
- Install the IP Webcam app on your smartphone.
- Close all other camera apps. Force close them from the app switcher before you proceed.
- Launch the IP Webcam app. Scroll to tsmarthe bottom and tap Start server.
- The app will now fire up your phone’s camera and display a URL. Our URL was http://22.214.171.124:8080.
- Enter this URL in any browser on your computer and hit Enter.
- In the browser, you’ll see a drop down menu next to Video renderer. Select Browser.
- Below that, you’ll see Audio renderer. Select HTML wav.
Now you will be able to see a live video feed in your browser. You can also record this footage via the browser. To do this, just press the red Record button under the video. This saves the footage as an MP4.There will be a slight lag if you enable HTML wav audio in the browser. You can select the Flash option, though it does not work on all computers or open the same URL in VLC Media Player.
- To do this, first download and install VLC from this website. Then in VLC, go to Media > Network Stream and enter the URL from the app as seen in step 5.
Once the app is running, you don’t need to keep your phone’s screen on. It works even when the phone is locked, but the video feed is slightly smoother when the screen is on.
Two of the most popular webcam apps on the App Store are EpocCam and PocketCam. On PocketCam the process is too complicated and free version limits you to black-and-white video and no audio. There’s a paid version that gives you access to all of PocketCam’s features.
On the other hand, EpocCam is free and it is very easy to set up. That’s why we would recommend using EpocCam. This is how:
- Ensure your phone and computer are on the same Wi-Fi network.
- Download the EpocCam app on your iOS device and Windows or Mac machine.
- When you install EpocCam it will ask you to install some drivers. Click Install anyway in both cases. These are audio and video drivers that let the app act as a webcam.
- Start EpocCam on your iPhone and your computer.
- The app automatically searches for other devices running EpocCam on the same Wi-Fi network. Soon, the video from the iPhone will automatically show up on your computer. EpocCam lets you use only one device as a camera at a time.
While this app generally works well, it is found that at times the phone and the computer could not connect to each other. Restarting the app on both devices quickly fixed the issue for us. There’s no recording feature in this app, but you can effortlessly setup a screen recorder app such as Camstudio on your computer to record the feed from your iPhone, if you want to use the phone as a security camera.
Picture courtesy- mobilerepairingonline.com
by techtalks @TechTalks August 12, 2015 12:14 PM UTC